Monday, July 9, 2012

We have all had one of those days...



Jamie Newman

    

     “Are you cold?” The security guard checking my I.D. asked as I stood there shaking with a blank look on my face. It was December but the lack of snow certainly did not make it any warmer out there.  “Oh my goodness, you’re bleeding!” the other guard exclaimed.  I stood there for a moment staring at my hands, still in too much shock to say anything. Yet, as I went through the events that had happened, I had to hold back my laughter as the images replayed in my head all too much like a movie. “I think she needs more than a band-aid,” the original guard said to the other. “I am going to take her to the surveillance room and see what we can do for her.”   Very surprised that they were allowed to take me to such a secure room in the Federal Building, I reluctantly followed. I quickly forgot about how late I already was as we walked into the extremely small room filled with what seemed to be hundreds of monitors. “Sit here. I need to find a first aid kit.” The guard said as he walked away, leaving me with my wandering mind, reflecting on the hours preceding.

     Laying there listening to the sound of my alarm, I know I am going to be late.  Quickly stumbling out of bed I run to the bathroom to start the shower! The scorching water feels so painful yet soothing on my skin, like a ninja I am in and out in no time!   Realizing my sister’s court would be starting in less than an hour and grabbing clothes to wear faster than a crazed woman at a Victoria Secret Semi-Annual Sale, I head for the door pondering “flip flops today? Cute new heels? Keys? Shit! Where are my keys?” Freezing in my steps and backtracking in my mind I run back up the stairs to frantically search my room! I am already going to be late and I am running on panic mode! Now, struggling to search every last place in the house that I can, I run to my car! “Please be in there, please, please PLEASE… I have to go!” Looking in my car relieved to see keys, I waste no time getting in and on my way.

     Parking is one of the hardest things to find in downtown Ogden. Especially on a week day and the Federal Building is one of those places I avoid going to like the plague. Driving in circles looking for places to park on Lincoln and Grant, I now feel more frustrated than ever! I know I cannot continue to waste my time looking for a place to park. The parking on 25th street is nearly impossible for getting in and out of spaces with the busy traffic.  The street is narrow and every spot comes in at a diagonal that impairs the ability to see when you want to back out. Time is running very short for me. I know my sister will be mad if I am late and embarrass her in front of the judge. Worse yet, the judge could get mad if I come waltzing in his courtroom after he has started.   Making the decision to just take the first spot I see regardless of how far I have to walk, I park my car two blocks away.  It may be winter but luckily there is not snow covering the ground. Running is going to be the only way I will make it on time being this far away. I am fortunate I will not have to worry about ice on the ground and happy I am wearing flip flops instead of heals. Checking to make sure I have all I need, I lock the car doors and I am ready to go.

      With my driver’s license and IPhone in one hand and my keys in the other, I start running up the street toward the Federal Building. Not carrying a purse full of change and other obviously sharp and dangerous items that I often carry will be my brilliant plan to make my Check In with security quicker. Finally, at the last intersection I have to cross I hurry and press the ‘walk’ button on the stop light, just as a truck comes to a fairly quick stop at what is now a red light. I notice his blinker is on to turn right and I am in a hurry to go too. Thinking I will help us both out, as soon as the flashing picture of a person walking lights up, I immediately start to step off the curb in a run. Suddenly, time becomes distorted. With my feet tripping over one another and trying desperately to catch my balance I keep moving forward. I tuck my IPhone into my body realizing I am on the losing end of this battle. With my face now just centimeters off the rough rocky pavement of the street and looking at the ever so worn tires of the truck, I realized I have to do something quick.  Looking left, then right,  I spring up without even a thought and run as fast as I can toward the doors of the Federal Building. Without even glancing up to see who may have witnessed this mishap!  As the doors started getting closer, pain started to show its presence.  Limping through the doors, still only a few minutes late,  I am ready to check in!

     “So what happened to you?” The guard asked as he was opening a package of gauze to wrap my knee. “I guess it is just one of those days!” I told him. “My mom wanted me to come here for my sister’s court hearing today.” The guard looked at me slightly puzzled but interested. “For moral support or something,” I continued. I explained to him how I had already got up later than planned, then how I couldn’t find my keys. The day had just gotten progressively worse as things unfolded. He seemed rather entertained as I recounted to him all the mishaps of my day! Admittedly, I was rather entertained by them as well. “I don’t know if I should laugh or feel bad for you right now?” He said in an almost questioning tone as he finished wrapping the last of my bleeding injuries. I just looked at him and couldn’t help but laugh. “I am sure I looked like the biggest crack head. Falling down, then getting up and running away like that! I only wish someone could have captured it on film because I am certain I made someone’s Facebook status today!”  Laughing together, he then walked me back out to the lobby, checked me in and I went on my way… knowing this day could have been much worse than this!

No comments:

Post a Comment